The journals that follow come from my experiences of five decades of bushwalking with friends and family. They are accounts of bushwalks and kayak trips that range from long distance treks… occasionally arduous, through to easy day walks or maybe even just an a hour or two poking around in my sea kayak. For those of you addicted to those interminable blow by blow navigational track notes, track logs and lists of waypoints, look elsewhere. That said, I have been using a GPS and mapping software since the early 1990s. My throughwalking kit contains either a Magellan GPS using Tracks and Topo software or my Android phone using geo-referenced map files. Both used occasionally to clarify a tricky navigational issue. If you share a geographer’s enthusiasm for maps and journeys across landscapes, read on. I hope you find them informative and perhaps entertaining. And as that great 16th century Dutch explorer, Abel Janszoon Tasman noted: ” He who might wish to know his country must first walk over it.”
- Washpool-Gibraltar Range World Heritage Walk. The Washpool-Gibraltar World Heritage Walk offers an easy four to five day, 45 kilometre wilderness hike through this magnificent landscape.
- Ark on Eyre: The Cape Labatt sea lion colony.
- Wandering Queensland’s White Mountains: exploring a little known and remote national park in North Queensland.
- The Cape to Cape Track: An eight day walk between Cape Naturaliste and Cape Leeuwin in the far SW of Western Australia.
- The Green Gully Track: a journey through the ranges and gorges of world heritage-listed Oxley Wild Rivers.
- Cicada Dreaming: Walking the Jatbula Trail. NT.
- Of Domes, Dingoes and Dendrobiums: A 5 day throughwalk in Girraween National Park. Qld
- To Borumba and Back. A day walk to Mt Borumba. Qld
- Nuptial Flights. Termites on the Wing. Nature Notes.
- Remote and little visited Chesterton Range National Park in the Semi arid zone of SW Queensland. Nature Notes
- Artists Cascades: Booloumba Ck: Conondale Great Walk. An easy but very enjoyable half-day walk up a rainforest creek.